285x285_Dangerous-ingredients-cosmeticsHi Hi!

I’m writing tonight to chat about ingredients and what is actually in our skincare and makeup now a days. If your similar to me, you see the pretty packaging, and have heard how wonderful it may work so you buy it without even looking at the back of the box and reading the list of ingredients. NOT smart. I have been doing much more research and trying to be more cognizant of the fact that most of these industrial strength, all day lasting, flawless promising coverage foundations are loaded with chemicals that are not only very harsh for our skin but cause even more breakouts. Some skin care and makeup companies are a little misleading when it comes to using words such as “natural” or “organic”. They can get away with marketing that way because you only need to have a minimum of 70% of organic ingredients. However, that still leaves that 30% ….which is usually full of toxins. I mean I get it, I have a large collection of the most popular foundations and concealers on the market today BUT my ultimate goal is to not even wear makeup. I can do face masks every other day in hopes that my redness or blemishes dissipate but in reality the more gunk you load on your face the more irritated it can get. The more time I spend at Skin NV and talk with the nurse practitioners and estheticians the more I want to throw away all my products. (But lets be honest I’m not going to). Not any one product that I have come across is made up of absolutely everything that is “safe” for your skin; but there are definitely some products that are much better than others.

A website I have been using lately is COSDNA.com and you can search for nearly any beauty product out there and they will instantly bring up a report on all of the ingredients and the ACNE, IRRITANT, UV, and safety measurements of that specific product. How awesome is that? Lets just say out of all the benefit, Mac, too faced, Anastasia, Chanel, (the list goes on)… there was about 2 products I want to keep using. Such a great but heartbreaking website lol. If you don’t care and your skin isn’t bothered by certain makeup or lotions then great I’m jealous, but if you want to be more informed then check out the site!

Below is a list of ingredients you most certainly want to stay away from, especially acne prone skin:

-Talc – which is hard I know, it is in almost all loose powders, blushes and bronzers, and some concealers, UGHHH

-Beeswax (which is in my beloved BOING concealer, 🙁

-Carnauba Wax

-Petrolatum

-Anything with PAROBENS!!! bad bad bad -Listed as methyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl paraben and found in 75-90% of all products on the market.

-Retinyl palmitate or retinyl acetate

-Mineral oil

-Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol

-Phthalates

-Titanium Dioxide

-Silica

-Ethylhexyl Palmitate- pretty much anything that starts with ETH

Some of these chemicals cause hormone disruption, kidney/liver issues, digestion problems and even cancer. YES we may feel pretty with this makeup on, but let’s be honest these ingredients are not pretty and not worth it. Our face is precious and we only have one so lets keep it nice and healthy, keep away from the toxins!

If you are at all concerned and have lately had problematic skin and are beginning to think its from your makeup here are some alternatives you may not have tried yet….>Kat Von D tattoo foundation and concealers score really low on the website’s acne scale and they are oil- and paraben-free. COVER|FX Natural Finish is a great foundation option without parabans, sulfates, or phthalates. It is mineral-oil and talc free!  Vitamins C and E soothe inflammation and reduce redness while protecting against premature skin aging. The formula’s anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties also protect against damaging environmental factors! Oxygenetix foundation a light breathable, oil free, paroben free product and will not cause breakouts! Downside, it is not as much coverage. But if we keep our skin clear and healthy by keeping all these other products off our face, then we won’t need all that coverage. Isn’t that what we are striving for?! I will now be on the look out for more natural products that are better for my skin and health but that still have coverage. 

Don’t get me wrong girls, Makeup is fun. Makeup can be art and look stunning, but give it a break every now and then. We absorb 60% of what we put on our skin so learning a little about what we are putting on our face is important.

MUAHHHHH!!!!!